czwartek, 2 lipca 2015

'I always get angry when I'm furious' - Bernard Black: the best hater on TV since Basil Fawlty


I like Dylan Moran. He verbalises my thoughts about the condition of the world perfectly. They all rattle in my brain too, but unfortunately, for the lack of any expressive oratory abillities, I can never quite put them the way I want. He does. In this grouchy, pesimistic, tired, deeply European way that is so close to my heart and which is very often misinterpreted, especially by some generally happy nations, like Americans, as the hatred towards all living things. But coming from intelligent and reasonable people, I've always considered this kind of sarcastic outlook as a rather special talent. It does not hide any heavy machinery behind it, no engine designed specifically to take pleasure in offending  others. It's just what it is on the outside. Taking notice of the ridiculousness and hypocrisies of the world and making it lighter for a moment.

I know it's not everybody's cup of tea but for those who share my point of view I thouroughly recommend a little sitcom, where my first encounter with Dylan Moran took place, called 'Black Books'. I don't know if I have ever seen more chronical displeasure and general lack of care about anything than presented by Bernard. It's beautifully unpretentious and laugh-out-loud funny. Special treat for wine lovers ('This is a farmyard of wine. It's like looking into the eye of the duck'), those not too much into health food ('What  were those funny-coloured things?' -'Vegetables'), those a little discontent with their job ('You know, pay's not great but the work is hard') and for everybody who appreciates good humour in a slightly distorted way.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz