poniedziałek, 29 czerwca 2015

What to do with a dream?


I wouldn't write a bad review. I mean, I always find fault in everything, that's just how I roll, but noticing all the imperfections doesn't make me less positive about the whole thing if the thing is good, whatever the thing is. So instead of dwelling on the couple of pointless films I've had a displeasure of watching of late, I've decided to dig up a couple of titles that I just can't seem to get out of my head, never mind how ancient they are, completely blind to any imperfections.
Very loosely paraphrasing Milan Kundera - you can really call something a work of art if it forces you to feel something you have never ever felt before. By this standard, and any other, for that matter, I've always considered 'Fitzcarraldo' of Werner Herzog a work of art.
Although I would never even dream of being so bold and determined as the character portrayed by Klaus Kinski, having watched the film at a pretty early age, for me it became an unattainable example of how you should live your life. Unattainable, but worth pursuing nevertheless.
The storyline in one sentence - a man wants to build an opera house in the middle of the jungle and after employing all the strenght and crazyness to bring this about, he fails. There's nothing more to it. And this simple story speaks to every fiber of my being, excuse me for being so dramatic.
As a kid, I obviously wasn't aware that the lesson I was being taught by Mr Herzog is going to be the one that I would never forget. More particularly - three lessons. 
Number one - that everybody should have a dream, a passion, whatever you call it, some higher meaning to their existance (getting dramatic again). It's probably not always easy to come by but that doesn't mean you stop looking. When you finally find it you'll know.
Number two - that if you're sure about this dream like about nothing else, you keep going. You take no notice of people not believing in what you believe, everything weighing you down you leave behind. I honestly think that before every resignation there are at least a hundred of different options to explore and you should explore them all.
Lesson number three, most useful and most difficult of all - what to do when you've explored your hundred options and there's nothing left to do. How to let your dream go, along with all the anger, bitterness, helplessness, and taking comfort and pleasure in the journey you took fightning for what you want.
Sounds naive and impossible? I'm fully aware of that. Still, I see Kinski in that white hat, with a cigar in his mouth, perfectly content and smiling, and I cannot help but think that getting that goddamn ship over the mountain was far more impressive than building an opera house would've ever been.

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz